A friend of mine was asking for some savory and easy breakfast recipes, and this sandwich recipe was the first one that struck me. Its super easy, healthy and above all tasty!!!
Ever since I had this sandwich in the restaurant section onboard the Trenitalia train en route Italy, I have been hooked. It is by far the best and simplest sandwich I have ever had, that packs in a lot of flavor.
This sandwich is basically made up of Char grilled veggies, which adds the smokey flavor and Feta Cheese. Feta Cheese is typically made of Goat/Sheep milk and it has a very interesting tangy salty flavor that goes really well with the grilled veggies. You find Feta cheese in the soft and hard variety. Here I used the soft variety as I find it easier to crumble and it is not as sharp in taste as the hard cheese.
There are a number of vegetables that can be used to make this sandwich. Namely – Green/yellow/red Bell peppers, Tomatoes, Aubergine/Eggplant/Brinjal, Mushrooms, Zucchini etc. These are typically the vegetables that taste really good when grilled, and the smokey flavor just enhances their natural taste. I consider the Feta Cheese and the Grilled Veggies to be a match made in heaven.
So this is my take on the Mediterranean sandwich with the veggies that I have at hand – Green bell pepper and tomato. (I love recipes that require the least number of ingredients, don’t you? )
Tomato – 1 large
Green Bellpepper/Capsicum – 1 large
Feta cheese – 2-inch size
Dried Basil – a pinch
Chilli flakes – a pinch
Salt – according to taste
Bread – 4 Slices (I use brown bread in an attempt to eat healthy)
Oil – enough just to brush the vegetables. (I use olive oil, but any vegetable oil can be used)
- Slice the tomato and capsicum and de-seed them.
- Then brush it with oil on both sides and place it on direct flame till the skin is grilled/blackened. About 5-8min is sufficient for getting an even char grilled surface by moving it around the flame. (Be careful and use tongs)
- Once the vegetables are evenly grilled, take them off the flame and chop it up.4
- Now place the chopped vegetables on the bread and crumble the feta cheese on it evenly.
- Sprinkle the seasonings- Basil, chilli flakes and salt over the veggies and cheese; and cover it with the other slice of bread.
- Now pan grill/toast the sandwich till browned on both sides. Once done, cut it up in half and serve.
- You can even use the Italian seasoning sachets that come with your home delivered pizza, and substitute it for the seasonings that I used in the recipe. It’s a good way to get some use of those left over seasoning sachets that seem to be piling over time. 😛 That is what I do most of the time, to make my job even easier, as if this recipe needs to be any more easier 😛
- If you are in a mood for salads, then can even use these grilled veggies to make a salad in stead of a sandwich, with crumbled Feta cheese on top with croutons. And trust me, it tastes just as yum, if not better!
So here you go, easy peasy, healthy sandwich; now try this recipe out and let me know if you love it as much as I did. 🙂 The smokey veggies go so well with the creamy and tangy feta cheese, that you would wanna have this on a daily basis. And since this is a healthy recipe, I see why not.