I have a monthly movie meet that I attend with some of my book club buddies. This movie meet is most awaited, not just for the amazing world cinema we watch, but also for the amazing food that we all get on the day. So apart from satiating our hunger for some sensible cinema, we get to satiate our hunger for good food too.
Since I was in charge for snacks this time round, I decided to go with Veg Croquettes or more commonly called Veg bullets, which turned out to be a hit with the crowd. The mustard dip especially, that goes so well with cutlets, was polished within minutes.
Read on to know how to make this definite party favorite.
Ingredients for the Croquette:
- Potatoes – 4 medium (Boiled and peeled)
- Onion – 1 finely chopped
- Peas – ½ cup (Boiled)
- Green chillies – 1 or 2 (finely chopped)
- Jeera/Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Corriander leaves – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Mint leaves – 1 tsp (finely chopped)
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – enough to deep fry
Ingredients for coating:
- Maida/Refined flour/Corn Flour – 1 cup
- Water – ¼ cup
- Bread crumbs – 2 cup
Ingredients for Mustard Dip:
- Hung Curd/ extremely thick curd – 1 cup
- Mustard Oil – 3tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
Method to make the croquettes:
- Mash the boiled potatoes and peas and add all the ingredients mentioned under the ‘Ingredients for croquettes’ EXCEPT oil. Mix well and check the seasoning, and add salt and chilli accordingly.
- Give the mixture any shape you like, but for even frying, shaping them as bullets or croquettes is better.
- Now take half a cup of maida each in two different wide bowls and mix water in one of the bowls to make a semi-thick batter to coat the croquettes.
- Take the bread crumbs in a different wide bowl.
- Now take the croquette and lightly roll it in the dry maida till lightly coated and dust extra off.
- Now dip it in the wet maida batter and drip the extra batter off and then roll it in the bread crumbs till it is coated well.
- Once all the croquettes are done with the 3 step coating, you can now, heat some oil in a deep vessel and fry the croquettes on medium high heat till golden brown.
Method to make the mustard Dip:
- Mix all the ingredients mentioned under the ‘Ingredients for Mustard Dip’. Voila, your dip is ready. Just taste to make sure if its pickly enough for you or not. Add little at a time of the mustard oil and salt, and keep tasting to make sure if it suits your palate or not. For me, more the mustardy the better.
So there you go, Crunchy Veg Croquettes to make at your next shindig. This recipe is perfect for vegans as well.
Time saving tips:
- If you want to save on time, make the potato mixture a day before and keep it ready in the fridge. Just make sure to bring it to room temperature before you start making the croquettes.
- Ok, so you are even more in a hurry? Fine, you can also make the croquettes ready the previous day and freeze them and fry them the next day to save on time. Just make sure to fry them on medium low heat for the croquettes to heat all the way to the center.